Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ludus Doctore 60mm EVD

Every now and then a figure comes along that causes me to "re-order" the priorities on my workbench. Such is the case with the new releases in the ROMA series from EVD. Billed as 54mm these minis are really more along the line of 60mm plus. Depicting various figures from the Roman Gladiatorial Arena, these minis are quite naturally right up my alley.
After having released a series of figures in resin that will be the subject of future projects for me, a new release in white metal has hit the market and it was one that I wanted to do right away. Depicting a "Doctore" or trainer of the gladiatorial "Ludus" or school, our figure is an African subject holding the expected whip and gladius. He is wearing trousers with a bit of fur around the lower torso, as well as a form fitting leather upper torso garment. The figure is in a simple yet powerful and dominant pose. For this piece I wanted a symbolic but simple groundwork depiction, so I chose to depict the school's "palus" or training post.
Depicted below is a model of a "Ludus Magnus" from Rome as depicted in the Museo Nazionale Della Civilta Romana, one of the larger Roman Gladiatorial Schools.
The pole was fairly simple to create. I began with a simple pine dowel which was weathered by first drawing a razor saw's teeth across the dowel lengthwise. Then a hammer was used to mash one end to appear as if the pole had been driven into the ground. The dowel was glued in a hole that had been drilled in the base and wooden toothpicks were shaved to make stakes that would be used to help straighten the post in the school's training arena.
Epoxy putty was used to create the soft sandy groundwork and a stiff bristle oil painting brush was used to gently texture the surface prior to curing. The figure was pinned as usual using brass rod, for a strong attachment to the base. The whole base and post were masked and the figure primed as usual with white automotive primer.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Heavy Roman Infantry Weathering

I promised some shots of my last vignette once the weathering had been completed. Despite the fact that many of you may be tired of seeing this piece already I wanted show it in it's final glory. In addition to adding dirt and stains, a few scrub plants were added as well. I also replaced the name plate as I had inadvertently forgot to over strike the date with a correct one when I first printed it. I think the final result is much improved over the last photos. I hope you all agree.

Madras Light Cavalry Bust - Update 2

After the lower portions of the jacket was blended, more titanium white was added to the mix and painted on the upper areas of the jacket.. Highlight areas were further worked wet-on-wet with more titanium white. These mid tone highlight and shadow areas will be further worked using glazing techniques once dry.

Prior to that however, all of the lace and belting was given gradated shading undertones using Payne's Gray, Lamp Black and Titanium White mixed together. After this dried, deep shadow work began. That will be the subject of my next post.

Madras Light Cavalry Bust - Update 1

Due to a number of personal issues I have been very neglectful of my blog postings lately (work and family). This means that there will be quite a few updates over the next 48 hours. I promised Steve at SK Miniatures that I would do a step by step on this very nice and colorful bust. I have been busy on it so there will be a lot to show and tell.

As always I started with the face. Due to the tropical climate, angle of the face and the helmet, to be added later, I wanted to go for very strong highlights and shadows on the face and hands. Once the helmet is attached I will go back in and further refine these details. I used Chrome Green Deep from W&N added to the flesh mix to create shadow tones while still working wet-on-wet. This is something different for me as I usually wait to do my shadows until the initial colors have dried.

My references for the coat show an interesting color of Sky-blue, something with a greyed out tone to it. I started by mixing Indigo, Cerulean Blue, a touch of Lamp Black and Titanium White for my base color. Lower portions were painted with Indigo and Black and the two areas were blended prior to painting the upper portions of the jacket. Deep Cadmium Yellow and Mars Yellow were mixed to create the facing color for the collar and cuffs.