Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Centurio Quintus Sertorius Festus - Update #2

I always like to include a posting showing the project figures in their primed state. I think that taking the time to study a casting primed and ready to go not only helps to catch any missed areas that still need cleaning but also helps to fill the head with the small details. I like to formulate a plan of attack for every kit so that I can visualize the painting process and how I want to catch all of the details.

As in the past, I masked the areas of the casting that will be iron/steel/silvered so that I can work with the kit metal to achieve the most realistic effects possible. I use a typical liquid masking agent applied with a toothpick (easier to throw away than an expensive brush as you can never fully get the masking agent out of the brush.) in a thick coat for ease of removal after priming.
The road bed is A+B putty and the mile marker shown previously will be glued on the base after painting. A bit of static grass was glued around the gaps where the marker will go to give a bit of "age" to the ground, as well as a few loose leaves to put some seasonal color in the scene.

Lots of character and detail in this sculpt. I'm really looking forward to starting on this beauty tomorrow night.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Centurio Quintus Sertorius Festus - Update #1

Assembly and Staging

Assembly was fairly straightforward and actually quite well engineered. I have put together everything but the crest, right hand with grapevine vitis (cane) and cloak/sword halves. The latter items will be attached after painting has begun for ease of access to the figure's details. The cloak is divided in two sections. The first goes over the shoulder and attaches to the back of the arm. The second, front section attaches to the top of the arm and drapes down the side with the gladius being an integral component as well as a strong attachment point. I may well be able to attach the back portion first, paint the details and attach the front portion after the fact.

The transverse crest/plume will be attached prior to priming and paint, along with the hand and vitis.

The groundwork will consist of a section of Roman roadway and a mile marker, examples of which can be seen below. The core of this can be seen in the photos above. Sheet plastic was glued up in a block for the base and styrene cylinder and sheet used for the column. The roadbed will be made from epoxy putty as well as the column details.
These columns were marked with their respective distance from Rome as well as the consul (during the Republic) or Emperor in power at the time of the road having been built or other major involvement in it's history. The saying that "All roads lead to Rome" was based on the fact that these markers were placed and marked as they were. 

Thursday, May 2, 2013

54mm Gunther von Schwarzburg - Completed

At last our little friend is completed. This was a long project but one that was very educational. In the end I learned a number of new techniques, experimented with color and I am happy with the final results. Enjoy!