Monday, March 21, 2011

Soldiers 54mm Praetorian Guard 312 AD - Completed





It is always a joy to complete a figure and this particular one was nice to see finished. It is a very nice subject, casually posed but little to excite the viewer in the personality department. The amount of red involved was a challenge to create in a variety of tones without becoming repetitive, something that is very difficult to capture on film. In the end it was fun to research, paint and display. My goal was to carry the oval shape of the shield, cylindrical effect of the column and spear shaft through the shape of the base. I rarely use round or oval bases but this base was perfect for the figure. In fact I have had this base since my first or second figure show in New Jersey back in the mid 1980's. It is an old Base Camp base and has stood the test of time and storage well. I'm glad I could finally use it for something so nice. Now onward to my other projects, including something that is a bit different for me......stay tuned this week for a preview.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful figure and display, excellent painting as ever! Congratulation!
    All the best,
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Very entertaining and technique of painting! My congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I may well be repainting the shield as more research comes to light but we shall see. Onward!

    ~Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed! Keep on happy painting and your brush wet and your view straight during Rock'n'Roll at the brush!

    ReplyDelete