OK so first let me say that these pics are posted in the wrong order. If you are following along you will need to work backwards to see my progress. Over these four pictures you can see the progress on this figure from the raw groundwork seen in my last post to the primed figure ready to be painted in the last picture.
After gluing the figure to the base with 5 minute epoxy I used white glue to affix very fine dirt with tiny rocks mixed in, where desired. Once dry I then used thinned white glue (50/50 mix with water) to attach a mixture of various manufacturer's "static grass" as well as some cut hemp rope.
I like to use washes to achieve a realistic effect on natural metal surfaces whenever painting a white metal kit. Standard household acrylic latex house paint was applied thickly to the areas that I wanted to mask off prior to priming and once dry the figure was primed with white automotive primer straight from a spray can. After the paint was dry the mask was removed from everything but the helmet. This area will be removed once the face has been completely painted. The final picture shows the figure all ready to begin painting. You will note that the groundwork is primed just like the figure so that the piece can be painted as a whole unit. I believe that the groundwork should receive the same degree of attention that the figure itself gets during the process.